Depression is one of the common disorders of the emotional sphere. It is characterized by a decrease in mood and loss of the opportunity to experience joy. Also, it is characterized by inhibition of actions and violation of thought processes. During depressed a person has negative thoughts, pessimistic perception of the world.
Causes of depression
Depression can occur due to various experiences. It can cause as the loss of a loved one, and the loss of work or place in society. These cases of depression are referred to as reactive. The disorder, in this case, appears as a reaction to an external event. Sometimes, with prolonged stress, it can turn into depression.
Risk factors for this disease in adults include child abuse. There is also a form of depression, which manifests itself and proceeds independently of external situations and events. It is called endogenous. A psychological disorder is caused by a lack of dopamine, norepinephrine and serotonin in the blood. These hormones of internal secretion are responsible for the mood of a person and his attitude to the world around him.
Ways to diagnose disorders and treatment
Identifying such a mental disorder is very difficult, since doctors cannot get a complete list of symptoms. Many people with this disability believe that emotional distress is a personal matter for everyone, and they are also afraid to talk about symptoms because the information gets to the employer. Others are afraid to go to a psychiatric hospital for treatment.
Prevention of depression is the best way to avoid it, however, if the disease has already appeared, you cannot neglect various types of help and support from outside. Most often, psychotherapy and social therapy are used to treat abnormalities. For the treatment to be effective, it is necessary to correctly diagnose the disease. The treatment approach should depend on the cause of the appearance.
Suffering from depression, it is better not to self-medicate. Only a doctor can determine the nature of the disease and prescribe appropriate drugs. Psychotherapy is considered one of the most effective treatments for emotional disorder. How long depressed man can attend a psychotherapist? It all depends on the severity of the case and the nature of the disease. Depression does not go away by itself and it is impossible to get rid of it quickly. The course of therapy usually ranges from several months to several years. The areas that have proven to be one of the most effective in the treatment of depressive states are psychoanalysis, transacting analysis, art therapy, behavioral therapy, family therapy.
In some cases, depression cannot be cured without the use of antidepressants. What in human behavior indicates that they can not do?
- suicidal thoughts or attempts;
- complete “falling out” of social contacts – a person, without objective reasons, leaves his job, refuses to communicate with family and friends;
- constantly seeking loneliness, while when someone tries to establish communication with him, he behaves aggressively;
- delayed reaction – a man, as if forgotten how to move, all his movements resemble the shooting of a slow-motion film. The level of memory and attention, also, for the period of the disease, decreases;
- The most severe symptoms of the manifestations of depressive states are visual and auditory hallucinations. When they appear, an urgent need to contact a psychiatrist.
Psychotherapy and antidepressants are depression treatments that have proven to be the most effective. However, there are supporters of other views in the world who believe that the depressive state is successfully treated with the help of meditative techniques.
Is meditation helpful when dealing with depression? Some experts talk about the effectiveness of this method. However, it is better if the person will meditate under the supervision of a psychologist or following his recommendations. On the one hand, meditative techniques allow one to learn and understand oneself more deeply, and on the other hand, they provoke the manifestation of strong feelings that can aggravate a person’s condition.
Meditative techniques act as prevention and as a way to build an emotional state. Recommendations to follow during the execution of a technician:
- even if negative thoughts do not give rest, during the exercise it is necessary that it gives pleasure or be at least a little pleasant. If, during meditation, a person feels ill at ease, then you may need to think about changing the form or content of the activity.
- Sometimes, during in-depth work on oneself, feelings arise that are diligently avoided in everyday life. It can be anger, pain, anger, frustration.
- It happens that the cause of depression is the suppression of negative emotions. Then, during meditation, one should not run away from them, but try to understand the reason for appearing and start working with them.
- Negative feelings are not born from scratch. Behind them is always an event that has put a person off balance. To understand his role in life and his reaction is possible at the reception of a psychoanalyst, being in a long-term personal therapy. You should not try to independently determine the significance of the influence of certain events on your life – this can be harmful.
- The main goal of meditation during a depressive mood is to help yourself, learn to treat yourself carefully, with respect.
Meditation: techniques and exercises
How to stabilize the emotional state?
Meditation “White pillar”.
- Sit in the starting position.
- Adjust breathing, take a few deep breaths and exhalations.
- Soothe or stop the flow of thoughts.
- To be in this state for some time.
After that, you need to begin to imagine that, from above, a white pillar as if penetrates a person – this is energy that is pure, bright, liberating. It has the shape of a pillar, which descends from above and whose edges are slightly blurred. This energy has no density. Slowly and confidently, she descends over her head and passes through her entire body, thus cleansing from negative thoughts, worries, fears, and doubts.
Exercise “Immersion.” Suitable during the influx of dark thoughts, bad mood, when it seems that life is not good, and the future is not happy. Recall the situation in which feelings were experienced – joy, delight, happiness, well-being. If it was a long time ago, it means to “return” mentally to the past. It is necessary to scroll through the situation in your head until the same feelings appear that were pleasant, warm.
The best treatment for a disease is to prevent its occurrence. Lifestyle, which serves as the prevention of depressive thoughts:
- rejection of bad habits – overeating, alcohol, smoking;
- regular physical activity;
- balance between rest and work;
- getting positive emotions;
- healthy eating;
- rest, communication, favorite thing.