In winter, the first rays of the sun peep through the “smoky” sky only at eight in the morning. Fog swirls between the rows of houses and trees, and such weather, as it turned out, may well accompany the onset of depression. Why, in the pre-holiday time, it seems that heavy loads are pressing on the shoulders, and breathing seems to be squeezed under the weight of heavy problems?
Autumn-winter period, oddly enough – time for the expanse of seasonal depression. What are the causes and signs of depression, how to deal with them – let’s talk in the article.
Symptoms of indisposition: signs of depression in the winter period
The depression characteristic of the autumn-winter months has been known since 1987. In winter, this disorder is particularly gaining momentum. More often, signs of depression are associated with loss of appetite, weight and insomnia. For the autumn-winter, the following are characteristic. symptoms:
- depressed mood;
- increased need for sleep;
- increased desire for sweets and carbs.
Women are four times more likely than men to be emotionally unstable in this period. With age, its manifestations may increase.
Also during the winter depression, such signs as a decrease in working capacity, unwillingness to communicate or, on the contrary, an excessive need for support of a loved one, fussiness, irritability, the appearance of unreasonable fears and anxiety, as well as self-blame attacks, self-digging, ending with the search for their own shortcomings can manifest themselves.
Causes of Depression
Autumn or winter depression can result from the following factors. For example, in the cold season, too little serotonin is released. Also, seasonal depression, according to some assumptions, it may be due to the history of development humanity living at our latitudes . American psychiatrist Peter Waibrow This will be removed by the fact that this is nothing but the preparation of the body for hibernation. That’s just the human body such a mechanism is not provided. The process is caused by a reduction in daylight and a drop in temperature outside the window. Our pineal gland is responsible for the “hibernation preparation” team, since its main function is to produce a substance – melatonin.
The pineal gland (also known as the pineal gland, because it looks like a small lump), is in our brain and is extremely sensitive to light. If an insufficient amount of it falls on the retina in the fall and winter, the aforementioned gland produces more hormone melatonin, which is responsible for the rhythm of sleep, inhibition of the activity of the hypothalamus and pituitary, and has a hypnotic effect in the dark.
But this is only one of the theories of the onset of seasonal depression.
Also, her arrival may be due to unfavorable heredity, as a result of which a person is more prone to mood swings and focusing on negative events.
The cause of depression can become random stresses, not related to the time of year. Or physiological features and ailments, for example, disorders of the central nervous system, thyroid gland or metabolic processes.
Often the cause of depression, including seasonal, can be a problem of criticism, especially it is fraught for an adult person who has been overly criticized in childhood.
Tips for eliminating and preventing winter depression
Seasonal depression, like any other, without paying proper attention to it, can lead to negative and serious consequences. Among them is the abuse of alcohol or drugs, social isolation, the emergence of problems in the labor and educational sphere, as well as, in particularly serious cases, the emergence of suicidal tendencies.
Therefore, it is better to prevent negative thoughts and moods than to deal with them later.
- It is important to observe the sufficient motive mode. It is better to be active on the street, even in bad, rainy or snowy weather, to get out of the house every day for at least an hour. To cultivate such a good habit, you will have to fight a lot with yourself, but a positive result will affect your health, well-being and all spheres of life. Even better, if possible, spend a couple of days a week out of town.
- The season of voluminous down jackets and fur coats is no reason to stop following the diet. You should not eat too much, otherwise in the spring you will have to regret about it, plunging already into the spring blues over the graceful figure. It is also important to ensure that sufficient nutrients are available to the body. After all, proper nutrition is a good means of preventing all ailments. Do not forget about cereals, fresh vegetables and fruits, nuts, oily fish and low-fat protein and dairy products. It is not worth while in pursuit of thin New Year’s waist to sit on tight diets – the lack of useful substances will only aggravate the situation and signs of depression. Natural bitter chocolate, marmalade, marshmallow or marshmallow can be used as food for the soul. After all, useful sweets contain substances that turn into serotonin in the body, and this contributes to improving mood.
- You can surround yourself with invigorating colors that imitate sunlight, such as orange, yellow and red. Colorful pillow cases, a red tablecloth or a picture with cheerful flowers will help to please the eye every day. Even a bouquet of flowers or a new piece of clothing will help improve your mood.
- The effectiveness of scents of nature. Oil of bergamot and jasmine in the aroma lamp will brighten the mood. They bring memories and images of the past summer, pushing into the background irrelevant causes of depression.
- It is important to more often listen to positive, pleasant music, which makes move, brings joyful emotions, drive. No matter you want to sing under it or dance – a positive reaction is important. But it is worth remembering that it is the physical activity, dance and sport that help to fight against bad mood and depression.
- Those who suffer severely from the winter blues can also opt for light therapy with full-spectrum daylight lamps with an intensity of 2500 lux at a specialist doctor in the outpatient department of the clinic. For comparison: in a normally lit room the intensity of light ranges from 100 to 200 lux. Naturally, the procedure is prescribed by a doctor and is carried out under his control.
- It is important to generate and cultivate positive thoughts in the mind. As in any situation, attitude to what is happening around plays an important role in the likelihood of depression. If a person convinces himself that the gloomy, difficult season begins, thinking about his helplessness before his arrival, the depressive state cannot be avoided.
A strategy of good mood and getting pleasant emotions is a worthy means. prophylaxis and getting rid of the winter depression. However, if you can’t overcome it yourself, it’s better to make an appointment with a psychotherapist in order to get qualified help. After all, the causes of depression, fatigue and mood may lie not only in the arrival of winter, such symptoms may indicate the development of some ailments. A diagnosis should be done only by a doctor.