Depression, according to WHO, is the most common mental disorder that affects nearly 350 million people of all ages. It should be noted that 2/3 of the patients are representatives of the weak half of humanity.
Changes in mood, negative emotions, inability to enjoy what is happening, decreased self-esteem, impaired thinking, motor inhibition – this is how this disease manifests itself. It prevents a person from living normally, serving himself, communicating, and even, in especially difficult cases, encourages suicide – more than 800 thousand unfortunate people annually take over themselves. That is why you need to know how to get rid of depression in order to help yourself or relatives in time.
Causes of depression
Every person in his daily life has negative reactions to something, a bad mood, a feeling of bitterness on a certain occasion, etc. These are not signs of depression at all , but the norm. But if such phenomena last for a long time and are accompanied by lethargy, sleep disturbances, loss of interests and suicidal thoughts, then you should sound the alarm.
Depression provokes a complex combination of a number of factors related to the psyche, genetics, ecology, biology, and society:
- psychotrauma (sexual, physical, mental violence);
- strong feelings after the loss of a loved one, position in society, work;
- lack of serotonin, dopamine, norepinephrine – biogenic amines;
- severe or prolonged stress;
- serious somatic diseases – infectious, Parkinson’s or Alzheimer’s, epilepsy, atherosclerosis, traumatic brain injury, etc .;
- thyroid problems;
- alcohol and drug consumption, side effects of certain drugs – sleeping pills, sedatives, etc .;
- lack of sunlight for a long time;
Specialists studying and diagnosing and treating depression cannot pinpoint its causes. They insist on the above, not excluding the distortions of thinking that occur in childhood, which are activated under the influence of life events in adults.
There are basic, that is typical, symptoms of this disorder, and additional ones.
The main signs of depression:
- feeling of weakness lasting at least two weeks, fatigue;
- unreasonable bad mood, lasting the same period;
- loss of ability to have fun, motivation to do something, interest in everything.
- sense of worthlessness;
- feeling of guilt, anxiety, fear;
- eating disorder, loss or increase in body weight;
- insomnia or drowsiness;
- decreased self-esteem;
- retardation, inability to concentrate;
- the appearance in the mouth of a sweet aftertaste;
- thoughts of suicide.
For a diagnosis of depression, symptoms should be from both groups (two from the first and up to three additional) and be observed for at least 14 days.
How to get rid of depression: treatment
Psychologists say: you can’t change the situation, change your attitude towards it. For example, if depression caused stress after a divorce, then it’s advisable to do this:
- communicate more with family and friends, make new acquaintances, do not become isolated in yourself;
- use folk sedatives, drink herbal tinctures.
- carefully look after yourself, change your hairstyle, style;
- please yourself with rest, new clothes, go to the cinema, theater, to the exhibition;
- do physical labor or sports, because muscle activity “releases” endorphins into the blood – hormones of happiness;
- change activity, work;
- Find your favorite business and pursue this hobby in any free time.
If all else fails, you will have to pay a visit to a specialist, psychologist or psychotherapist.
Treatment of depression is currently being carried out effectively with the help of psychotherapy, certain drugs, and social therapy. An individual strategy is developed for each patient. The specialist selects the best method for each patient, safe and most effective.
Mild and moderate depression is successfully treated with psychotherapy using methods such as:
Exercise and meditation, acupuncture, art therapy, massage, etc. can also be used.
After psychotherapy, patients refuse a pessimistic outlook on life, adjust their behavior. They will now be able to overcome depression in the future, recognizing its approach.
With more severe forms of depression, pharmacotherapy can help . The doctor carefully selects antidepressants, focusing on the patient’s preferences, side effects of the drug and personal experience.